Federal judge cancels Google-Apple patent trial

A federal judge cancelled a scheduled June 11th trial between Apple and Google's Motorola Mobility over patents related to mobile phones and tablets.

The judge is expected to dismiss the case as neither of the firms are able to prove damages.

US circuit judge Richard Posner in Chicago said on Thursday (June 7th) that each company's case should be dismissed with prejudice. This means it would not be able to be brought to court again.

He claimed that neither company had enough admissible evidence to withstand dismissal, Reuters reports.

Mr Posner said to grant injunctions against infringements would unnecessarily impose costs disproportionate to the harm of patentee and benefit of the alleged offence.

Google completed its $12.5 billion (£8 billion) purchase of Motorola Mobility last month after receiving approval from Chinese, EU and US authorities.

The firm said in a statement: “We are pleased by the Illinois trial court's tentative ruling today dismissing Apple's patent claims and look forward to receiving the full decision.”

Posted by Simon Thomas

Magic your old mobile into cash now

Written by Mazuma

Mazuma Mobile is Australia's most trusted mobile phone recycling service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *