Chinese regulators have approved Google's US$12.5 billion ($12.7 billion) purchase of US mobile phone manufacturer Motorola Mobility.
This was the final hurdle for the deal to go through after US and EU authorities gave the deal the go-ahead earlier this year.
Chinese officials said Google must keep its mobile operating system Android free for other device manufacturers for at least five years.
Google's purchase of Motorola Mobility will allow the conglomerate to make its first move into making mobile phones and tablets.
It will also give the firm access to more than 17,000 patents from Motorola that will help defend itself and other Android phone manufacturers in disputes.
Google confirmed the Chinese government cleared the deal on Saturday (May 19th).
“Our stand since we agreed to acquire Motorola has not changed and we look forward to closing the deal,” the company said.
Posted by Samantha Green